Gresley FC Homepage
Next First Team Game
Brighouse Town
3.00pm, Sat 22nd Dec (home)

Match Report  |  Gresley FC vs Market Drayton Town

Gresley FC  2
Morris 74  |  Melbourne 75
Market Drayton Town  1
James 83

Evo-Stik South

The Moat Ground, Church Gresley

Tuesday, 12th September 2017, 7.45pm

Match Sponsor: The Board of Directors

Gresley Get Win At Last

This was billed as a must win game for both sides as they sat near the bottom of the table separated by just one point.

On a very wet Moat Ground Gresley managed at last to give their long-suffering home supporters something to cheer them up with a much better performance to the one witnessed against Leek on Saturday.

There was commitment and hard work from all the Gresley players in a game which was going to be difficult with both sides desperate to claim a win.

Gresley manager Damion Beckford-Quailey made a few changes with Matt Roome back in the full back slot. Zac Hill, who had impressed on Saturday, kept his position in midfield alongside Ryan King who was given a start. New signing striker Charlie Woolfe replaced Jon Stevenson who Gwas rested. Sean Phillips returned to the starting eleven after recovering from a recent injury with Jason Law on the bench.

With the rain falling steadily Gresley began brightly with Ryan King firing a shot straight at visiting keeper Ashley Rawlings regarded by many as one of the best keepers in this division.

Gresley were getting into their stride and a fine move involving Woolfe, Matt Melbourne, Ryan King and Reece Morris ended with Morris firing just over the bar from the edge of the area.

The home side went close to taking the lead just before the break. They forced two consecutive corners from the left and from the second one the ball came to Melbourne whose goal bound shot took a deflection for yet another corner.

Early in the second half another chance for the Moatmen with Woolfe putting his header over the bar.

A rare attempt on goal for the visitors ended with a low shot from Judd Ellis which Rob Peet held comfortably.

It's easy to see why Town had only conceded five goals in their first opening six league games as they defended bravely. One such occasion prevented Gresley from taking the lead. A good break saw Melbourne cleverly back heel the ball into the path of substitute Courtney Meade who had replaced Woolfe minutes earlier but as Meade was about to fire off his shot from inside the area a last-ditch block denied him.

Gresley almost handed the visitors the lead on the hour. A high ball into the area was dropped by Peet but thankfully for the home side substitute Joe Cuff fired the loose ball high and wide of the target.

Three minutes later Gresley were denied what looked to be a good penalty shout as a Town player clearly handled the ball in his own area unfortunately just one of a few dubious decisions made by the officials.

Meade picked out Morris with a superb diagonal long pass who then fed the ball back to Meade who had continued his run into the area but the outstretched leg of Rawlings blocked the shot.

Town went close at the other end when Ellis forced a good save at his post by Peet. The resultant corner eventually produced an attempt which rattled the woodwork.

The Gresley faithful must have been thinking it was going to be one of those night when the hard-working Melbourne was put through only to have his shot blocked.

However, the gloom was lifted slightly when Gresley took the lead and what a good goal it was. After some good build up play Morris cut in from the left before curling a tremendous shot into the top far corner of the net just out of reach of the outstretched hand of the diving Rawlings.

It was no more that Gresley deserved and just as you can have a long wait for a bus and then two turn up, Gresley doubled their lead just 60 seconds later. From the kick off Ryan King managed to collect the ball and put a defence splitting pass through for Melbourne who ran forward before smashing the ball past Rawlings.

Town scored what proved to be only a consolation goal but this owed much to the referee Mr Beard. There was a clear foul on substitute Zak Evans in the build-up which was ignored by the official who up to that point had blown his whistle for some, let say dubious, decisions but he allowed play to continue in this instance. Town raced forward and finished with a shot which Peet seemed to have covered but he failed to hold onto the ball and substitute Andre James had the easy task of firing the ball into the empty net.

Gresley thoroughly deserved their first win from a game which certainly was not a classic and could have won by more if it was not for some dogged defending from the visitors. Let's hope it the win which gets Gresley's season on track at last although there will be a stern test on Saturday as they travel to free scoring Frickley Athletic.

Match Stats
Shots on Target 5 3
Shots off Target 6 5
Corners 5 3
Fouls Conceded 10 10
Yellow Cards 2 1
Red Cards 0 0
Possession (%) 60 40
Streaming Interview
Gresley FC
1 Rob Peet
2 Matt Roome Yellow Card
3 Louis Danquah
4 Jamie Barrett (c)
5 Josh Egginton
6 Zack Hill Yellow Card
7 Ryan King
8 Reece Morris
9 Charlie Woolfe
10 Matt Melbourne
11 Sean Philips
12 Daniel Campbell
not used
14 Jason Law
for 11 - 68 mins
15 Courtney Meade
for 9 - 53 mins
16 Zacky Evans
for 8 - 79 mins
17 Keenan King
not used
Market Drayton Town
1 Ashley Rawlins
2 Simon Gregory Yellow Card
3 Mike O'Reilly
4 Lyndon Campbell
5 Sean Griffiths
6 James O'Reilly
7 Charles Knowles
8 Daniel Beddows (c)
9 Craig Ryan
10 Judd Ellis
11 Glyn Coney
12 Andre James
for 9 - 57 mins
14 Joe Cuff
for 11 - 60 mins
15 Tyrell McEarlane
for 8 - 79 mins
16 James Bennett
not used
17 Kevin Buxton
not used
Other Match Info

Referee: Martin Beard (Alfreton)

Attendance: 137

Star Player
Zac Hill

Zac Hill

Difficult choice with all the team playing well but the young midfielder caught the eye with his hard work defending and going forward