Gresley FC Homepage
Next First Team Game
Carlton Town
7.45pm, Tomorrow (away)

Match Report  |  Gresley FC vs Bedworth United

Gresley FC  0
Bedworth United  1
Parrott 11

Build Base FA Trophy Preliminary Round

The Moat Ground, Church Gresley

Saturday, 7th October 2017, 3.00pm

Match Sponsor: Stuart & Mark Dennis

Gresley Hand Bedworth The Win

Gresley were dealt a big blow on the day before the match when Barwell recalled their young keeper Max Smith-Varnham as their keeper was injured. Unfortunately, it only gave Gresley manager Damion Beckford-Quailey 15-20 minutes to try and bring in a replacement before the 12 noon deadline. James Flinders agreed to step into the breech although not playing for Gresley since pre-season.

Unfortunately for Flinders it was a mix-up between himself and a defender over a high cross into the box which saw him fail to claim the ball leaving Elliot Parrot to tap it into the unguarded net.

The rest of the first half was, to be honest, a pretty dour affair with neither side carving out any clear-cut chances.

The second half was not a great deal better but Gresley did have the better of the half but just couldn't break through a stubborn United defence ably marshalled by the experienced Mark Albrighton.

Flinders had chance to make amends for his first half slip when Acer Wake gave away a penalty on 49 minutes. Levi Rowley elected to take the spot kick but Flinders diving to his right made a superb save to deny the visitors from doubling their advantage.

The home keeper was called into action two minutes later pushing Luke Keen's header from a right cross away for a corner.

The closest Gresley came was Matt Melbourne heading Jeremiah Dasaolu's right wing cross over the bar followed by Jason Law's well struck shot being blocked. Jamie McAteer then planted a header for the visitors over the bar on the hour mark.

On 64 minutes Gresley had a decent shout for a penalty themselves when Reece Morris was brought down just inside the area. Everyone was hoping the referee Mr Humpries would redress the decision he had made earlier giving Bedworth a 'soft' penalty but no not this time much to the annoyance of players and supporters alike.

Jon Stevenson who had replaced Tom Hammerton fired a shot straight at visiting keeper Dan Crane. He followed that up a few minutes later with another shot at Crane as Gresley pressed forward looking for the equaliser.

A bit of a skirmish between Tom Manship and Luke Rowe saw both players receive a yellow card. However, a lunge from Manship a few minutes later saw the midfielder receive another yellow resulting in a red card and Gresley down to ten men for the final moments of the game.

With the man advantage Gresley were under pressure for the final 10 minutes or so and Bedworth almost made that pressure count when Khaellen Bailey-Nichols cut in from the left only to see his shot come back off the bar.

Match Stats
Shots on Target 3 3
Shots off Target 3 5
Corners 5 5
Fouls Conceded 14 10
Yellow Cards 4 1
Red Cards 1 0
Possession (%) 52 48
Streaming Interview
Gresley FC
1 James Flinders
2 Matt Roome
3 Lucas Harrison
4 Jamie Barrett (c)
5 Acer Wake Yellow Card
6 Thomas Hammerton
7 Dexter Morris-Clarke
8 Reece Morris
9 Jeremiah Dasaolu
10 Matt Melbourne
11 Jason Law
12 Josh Egginton
not used
14 Jon Stevenson Yellow Card
for 6 - 54 mins
15 Alvin Jarvis
for 11 - 79 mins
16 Keenan King
not used
17 Tom Manship Yellow Card  Yellow Card  Red Card
for 7 - 70 mins
Bedworth United
1 Daniel Crane
2 Khaellen Bailey-Nicholls
3 Luke Rowe Yellow Card
4 Elliott Parrott
5 Jamie McAteer
6 Ricardo Dudley
7 Mark Albrighton
8 Reece Blackmore
9 Luke Keen
10 Levi Rowley
11 Richard Blythe (c)
12 Janabi Amour
not used
13 Adam Harrison
not used
14 Ryan Smith
not used
15 Iyseden Christie
for 9 - 81 mins
16 Kyle Cartwright
not used
Other Match Info

Referee: Andrew Humphries (Daventry)

Attendance: 250

Star Player
Matt Melbourne

Matt Melbourne

Matt continues to be an example to his team mates