Gresley FC Homepage

Match Report  |  Gresley FC vs Lincoln United

Gresley FC  1
Browne 26
Lincoln United  3
Robinson 17  |  Nichol 24  |  Cotton 90

Evo-Stik NPL League Division One South

The Moat Ground, Church Gresley

Saturday, 1st April 2017, 3.00pm

Gresley Unbeaten Run Ended

This was a game of missed chances and sloppy defending which cost Gresley at least a share of the points.

Gresley were the better of the two sides for most of the game and if they'd have converted their chances could easily have been a couple of goals in front by the break but it was the visitors who led by two goals to one.

Manager Damion Beckford-Quailey made changes to his squad. Max Atkin was recalled into the keeper's slot to give him match time due to James Finley being ineligible for the Derbyshire Senior Cup final next month.

A close family bereavement meant that Alvin Jarvis, who had been impressive in his last few games, was absent. Tom Manship had not recovered from a head injury with Laithan Hammond and Jon Stevenson also on the injured list. Matt Melbourne and Dexter Morris-Clarke both returned to the squad.

Lincoln, who are hoping to grab themselves a play-off place took the lead on 17 minutes. Reece Morris couldn't control a ball down the right and it led to a run down the flank by Lincoln and the ball was played into the area where Connor Robinson controlled the ball, turned and hit a shot past Atkin.

Gresley almost levelled immediately when Ben Harris put Leandro Browne in on goal but keeper Jake Turner got a vital touch to deflect the ball out for a corner.

Gresley handed their opposition their second goal. A ball was passed back to Atkin, the keeper tried to clear the danger but Joshua Nichol charged the ball down and as it headed towards goal Nichol had the easy task of tapping the ball into the empty net.

The home side began to get back into the game and a superb long pass from Josh Wakeling sent Morris on his way but he was denied by a tackle as he reached the 18-yard box.

More pressure from the Moatmen led to them clawing a goal back on 26 minutes when Browne collected a ball from the left and managed to drill a shot past Turner despite the keeper getting his hands on the ball.

A brave save at the fee of Nichol by Atkin prevented the visitors from regaining their two-goal advantage just before the interval.

Atkin needed to be alert within the first ten minutes of the second half when a corner from the left by Rob Norris was headed goalwards by Sean Wright but the outstretched leg of the keeper denied him his moment of glory.

Keenan King, who had replaced Jordan Wakeling, had only been on the pitch a couple of minutes when a chance came his way from a Harris pass but the striker's flick cleared the bar by inches.

It was all Gresley now as they went looking for the equaliser and another gilt edged chance arrived when Melbourne found Morris but somehow the winger managed to put his effort over the bar when well placed.

Gresley went close again minutes later. This time it Browne who turned provider. He made a mazey run into the area and send an inviting low ball across the face of Lincoln's goal where Melbourne was waiting but he just couldn't get that vital touch and the chance was gone.

With Gresley going all out to get something from the game it was almost inevitable that they would get caught on the break, and that's what happened.

Totally against the run of play substitute Matt Cotton was allowed to run down the middle and with no tackle coming in he struck a low shot which beat Atkin at his near post.

If, and it's a big if Gresley could have converted their chances they could have collected all three points and kept their unbeaten run going, but as it was the better team on the day had to settle for defeat with a score that flattered the visitors.

Match Stats
Attempts on Goal 3 4
Shots off Target 6 2
Corners 6 3
Fouls Conceded 7 14
Yellow Cards 1 0
Red Cards 0 0
Possession (%) 58 42
Streaming Interview
Gresley FC
1 Max Atkin
2 Ryan Walker
3 Josh Egginton
4 Jordan Wakeling
5 Jamie Barrett (c)
6 Matt Roome
7 Leandro Browne
8 Reece Morris
9 Ben Harris
10 Matt Melbourne
11 Dexter Morris-Clarke Yellow Card
12 Lucas Harrison
for 15 - 65 mins
14 Sam Grouse
not used
15 Keenan King
for 4 - 58 mins
16 James Flinders (GK)
not used
Lincoln United
1 Jake Turner
2 Luke Hornsey
3 Callum Ward
4 Daniel Brooks
5 JamesBlunden
6 Sean Wright (c)
7 Ben Fairclough
8 Rob Norris
9 Joshua Nichol
10 Conner Robinson
11 Kallum Smith
12 Andrew Toyne
for 9 - 85 mins
14 Matt Cotton
for 7 - 77 mins
15 Sean Cann
for 10 - 70 mins
16 Joshua Bar-Rostron
not used
17 Chris Hall
not used
Other Match Info

Referee: Jack Shepherd (Dudley)

Attendance: 221

Star Player
Ben Harris

Ben Harris

Another good solid performance.