Gresley FC Homepage
Next First Team Game
3.00pm, Tomorrow (away)

Match Report  |  Gresley FC vs Pickering Town

Gresley FC  1
Lee 8
Pickering Town  2
Blott (pen) 12  |  Daniels 33

Evo-Stik NPL League East Division

The Moat Ground, Church Gresley

Saturday, 9th March 2019, 3.00pm

Match Sponsor: Kirkland Carpets

Pikes Grab All Three Points At The Moat

This was a crucial game for both sides, but Pickering will be the happier of the two basement teams as they collected all three points at the Moat Ground.

The game was played by two teams who were desperate for all three points, but this result made Gresley’s hopes of surviving the drop even more difficult now four points adrift at the bottom.

Both sides had to battle a stiff wind especially in the first half and a very soft pitch that cut up as the game progressed.

Gresley’s manager Gavin Hurren was hoping his side would build on the previous three games where the improving performances of his side were evident but to no avail as his side failed to take advantage of an early lead. Some sloppy defending allowed the visitors to equalise and then the goal of the game ensured all three points travelled back to Yorkshire.

Hurren included two new faces with Brad Lawley starting in midfield and Devante Reittie on the bench alongside Dexter Morris-Clarke who had returned to the Moatmen during the week and his side started brightly and were ahead after just 8 minutes when Kane Lee got the better of Nial Tilsley down the right, cut into the area and blasted the ball past visiting keeper Harrison Foulkes who, despite getting both hands to the ball, couldn’t prevent the ball from going in at the far corner.

However, the euphoria lasted a mere four minutes as Ryan Blott levelled from the spot after a rash challenge from Joseph Haines was penalised in the area by the referee.

Pickering began to grow in confidence and went close to taking the lead, but Lewis Taylor put his header, from a corner, over the bar.

Gresley were finding it difficult to find that cutting edge to put that extra pressure on their visitors although Lee was giving their right back a torrid time but on many occasion the Pikes’ defence managed to scramble the ball away before any damage could be done.

The home defence did not seem to be functioning as well as last week at Frickley and looked a little unsure when the visitors attacked.

Pickering took a deserved lead just after the half hour mark when Earl Daniel was allowed far too much space to run forward down the right and when he got almost to the edge of the area he fired a superb shot which comprehensively beat Gresley keeper Aidan Jeynes and flew into the far bottom corner.

Gresley did try to level things up before the break with Albert Lansdowne firing his shot over the bar from the edge of the area.

Gresley’s defensive frailty was evident again early in the second half when Daniels ran unchallenged into the area but thankfully for the home side his shot flew high over the bar. Lee had his header saved by Foulkes from Haines’ cross from the left.

The game became rather scrappy with Lansdowne and Lee both receiving yellow cards from the referee who was running out of patience.

Gresley went close to going further behind but was saved by the outstretched leg of Jeynes after Daniels raced in on goal through a static Gresley defence. If he had seen his colleague to his left a third goal would have been almost certain.

With time running out for Gresley, Joshua McKenzie saw the keeper coming out of his area to try and clear a high ball. McKenzie beat the keeper to the ball, but Foulkes clattered him a yard or so outside of the area receiving a yellow from the referee. If there had not been for a covering defender, the colour may have been different.

The resultant free kick was taken by Callum Riddell who was unlucky to see his well struck shot crash against the bar with Foulkes beaten.

Gresley continued to search for at least a share of the spoils but were almost caught out by the proverbial sucker punch but a perfectly timed tackle by Haines deep inside his own area saved further embarrassment.

The Moatmen had two late chances with debutant Reittie, on for Connor Deards, was put through down the right but fired his shot into the side netting. Lee had the final half chance but his shot from the edge of the area during a scramble went straight at Foulkes.

Games are starting to run out for Gresley. However, there are still enough to pull themselves to safety but they need to start winning games as soon as possible.

Match Stats
Shots on Target 3 3
Shots off Target 4 3
Corners 6 6
Fouls Conceded 6 14
Yellow Cards 3 4
Red Cards 0 0
Possession (%) 50 50
Streaming Interview
Gresley FC
1 Aidan Jeynes
2 Jacob Sturgess Yellow Card
3 Joseph Haines
4 Albert Lansdowne Yellow Card
5 Mark Smith (c)
6 Bradley Lawley
7 Callum Riddell
8 Micah Edwards
9 Joshua McKenzie
10 Connor Deards
11 Kane Lee Yellow Card
12 Cameron Steele
for 3 - 85 mins
14 Devante Reittie
for 10 - 60 mins
15 Dexter Morris-Clarke
for 8 - 65 mins
16 Harry Walker
not used
17 Ben Allsop (GK)
not used
Pickering Town
1 Harrison Foulkes Yellow Card
2 Niall Tilsley
3 Matt Jacob Yellow Card
4 Stuart Mott
5 Matt Turnbull
6 George Bissett Yellow Card
7 Earl Daniel Yellow Card
8 Nick Thompson
9 Ryan Blott
10 Lewis Taylor
11 Josh Greening
14 Joe Danby
not used
15 Ged Dalton
for 11 - 83 mins
16 Jack Vaulks
for 2 - 71 mins
17 Fergus McAughtrie
not used
18 Jamie Barkway
for 10 - 90 mins
Other Match Info

Referee: Robert Hathaway (Tamworth)

Attendance: 183

Star Player
Kane Lee

Kane Lee

Lee continues to try and drag his side to the points