Gresley FC Homepage
Next First Team Game
3.00pm, Tomorrow (away)

Match Report  |  Carlton Town vs Gresley FC

Carlton Town  0
Gresley FC  2
Steggles (og) 38  |  Harrison (pen) 52

Intergro League Cup 2nd Round

Bill Stokeld Stadium, Stoke Lane, Gedling, Nottingham

Wednesday, 31st October 2018, 3.00pm

Gresley In Cup Win

After the 5-0 thumping at Carlton a month ago, Gresley were hoping for no horror show this time round on Halloween.

Gresley manager Gary Norton made several changes to the line-up and included Danny Holmes and Dom Allen whose registration was confirmed before the game.

Jake McIntosh was given a start at the heart of the defence alongside Albert Lansdowne who will miss the next three games following his red card at Spalding.

Before the kick off there was an impeccably observed minute silence for the tragic events at Leicester City at the weekend.

Neither side found the going easy in the early part of the game with only one decent effort from Gresley’s Callum Riddell who fired his shot straight at Jack Steggles in the Carlton goal.

Oliver Clark tried his luck for the home side minutes later but his shot from long-range cleared the bar.

Carlton went very close to taking the lead on 25 minutes but visiting keeper Oliver Fairbrother made to superb saves from close in. The first from a shot at his near post and then to stop the well struck rebound from entering the net.

The Millers forced three consecutive corners which all came to nothing before Cameron Steele went close for Gresley. A long pass down the middle was very well controlled by Steele before he turned and hit a shot just wide of Steggles’ far post.

The game began to get bitty with the referee constantly penalising many of the tackles from both sides giving it a stop-go feel about it.

Gresley took the lead on 38 minutes when Allen did well down the right and fired in a low shot to the near post which Steggles fumbled into his own net.

Within seven minutes of the second half Gresley doubled their advantage when Steele was brought down in the area. Lucas Harrison took the spot kick sending Steggles the wrong way.

On the hour one of the assistant referees hobbled off the pitch and was replaced. However, the free kick count was still rising and neither side was creating any chances of note.

Both sides made changes and despite some slight pressure from Carlton in the final few minutes it resulted in no clear-cut chances and Gresley held out for only their second but very welcome clean-sheet of the season.

Gresley will be waiting with bated breath for the next round draw with some lengthy journey’s still remaining.

Match Stats
Shots on Target 4 2
Shots off Target 3 1
Corners 2 7
Fouls Conceded 14 22
Yellow Cards 2 4
Red Cards 0 0
Possession (%) 50 50
Streaming Interview
Carlton Town
1 Jack Steggles
2 Oliver Robinson
3 Ephraim Pepe Yellow Card
4 Riece Bartram Yellow Card
5 Toby Moore
6 Jacob Spence
7 James Frost Yellow Card
8 Oliver Clark
9 Luke Smithson
10 Aaron Opoku Yellow Card
11 Joshua Kwadu
12 Jordan Pick
not used
14 Kyle Stovell
for 11 - 58 mins
15 Kieran Walker
for 3 - 56 mins
16 Connor Bartle
not used
17 Joe Brothwell
for 7 - 73 mins
Gresley FC
1 Oliver Fairbrother
2 Dominic Allen
3 Lucas Harrison (c)
4 Albert Lansdowne
5 Jake McIntosh
6 Dexter Morris-Clarke Yellow Card
7 Cameron Steele
8 Danny Holmes
9 Kane Lee Yellow Card
10 Callum Riddell
11 Connor Ward
12 Harry Lansdowne
for 11 - 75 mins
14 Kieran O'Connell
for 10 - 86 mins
15 Luke Morgan
for 6 - 74 mins
16 Mark Branch
not used
17 Carl Slater
not used
Other Match Info

Referee: Jacob Lehane (Leicester)

Attendance: 56

Star Player
Danny Holmes

Danny Holmes

Brought some experience into the side