Gresley FC Homepage
Next First Team Game
3.00pm, Tomorrow (away)

Match Report  |  Stamford AFC vs Gresley FC

Stamford AFC  2
Seal 6  |  G Smith (pen) 33
Gresley FC  1
Lee 80

Evo-Stik NPL League East Division

Zeeco Stadium, Stamford

Saturday, 16th February 2019, 3.00pm

Misery Continues For Gresley

It’s often said in football that if you are at the bottom of a league things seem to go against you no matter how hard you try, and in this game the evidence was there for all to see.

Gresley struck the base of a post and a few seconds later the ball at the other end and they were one down. There was then a penalty which was extremely harsh but given and they were two down.

Gresley manager Gavin Hurren made changes again with Harry Walker, Curvin Ellis and Luke Barlone all unavailable and bringing striker Joshua McKenzie and midfielder Connor Deards into his squad. Recently signed keeper Charlie Price once more took the number one jersey.

The visitors started strongly and on 5 minutes a tremendous shot from Albert Lansdowne smacked the bottom of the post with home keeper Danny Haystead beaten.

However, a minute or so later Stamford took the lead. A long ball through the middle eventually dropped for Ryan Seal who looking suspiciously offside when he received the ball rounded Price and despite a gallant effort from Mark Smith the ball ended up in the net.

Stamford went close to adding to their tally when a cross from the left was met by Joe Boachie but his header flew wide of the mark.

Just after the half hour mark Stamford went two up and again it was from a harsh decision by referee Mr Robertson. A well struck shot hit Jacob Sturgess’s arm and the referee awarded a penalty taken by Greg Smith who sent Price the wrong way.

However, 10 minutes later Smith was shown a straight red card for an elbow in the face of Micah Edwards.

Despite the loss of a player Stamford pressed forward at the start of the second half with Boachie once more heading a good chance wide.

Hurren made his first change of the game on 66 minutes bringing on Cameron Steele for Sturgess and he was soon causing problems down the right but a well drilled home defence, which included former Gresley man Josh Egginton, kept any danger down to a minimum. Stamford also made a change five minutes later bringing on Jack Gurney for Joe Burgess and it almost proved to be a good move but after running into the area his shot was well held by Price.

With Stamford dropping back to preserve their lead Gresley began to have their best spell of the game and on 80 minutes Gresley got a goal, their first since the start of the New Year. The ball was only half cleared as far as Kane Lee who hit an unstoppable shot to beat Haystead.

There then followed a flurry of yellow cards from the referee for Eric Graves, Albert Lansdowne and substitute Jake McIntosh. Stamford substitute Ollie Browne-Hill was also shown the yellow card, and this was to have a greater impact for him. He received his first yellow almost immediately after replacing Joe Burgess but three minutes later he received a second yellow.

Browne-Hill made a run into the area and Price came out to try and smother the ball. Whether the keeper caught him or not, the referee deemed that the Stamford player had dived and he was shown a second yellow and the inevitable red. We’ve seen then given and we’ve seen them not.

Gresley continued to press for the equaliser and Stamford looked very jittery in what had been a solid defence.

With time almost up Gresley were awarded a corner on the left. Steele swung over the ball and McIntosh struck a volley from outside the area which flew the wrong side of the near post.

The visitors went even closer seconds later. Callum Riddell hit a tremendous shot which was incredibly palmed away low down to his right by Haystead.

Despite Gresley’s pressure that elusive point stayed away and another game without a point.

There was plenty to be encouraged about from this performance and most of those who made the trip would agree that things are starting to gel. Unfortunately, the run of away games against some of the better sides has not helped Gresley with games starting to run out plus another enforced blank Saturday coming up.

Match Stats
Shots on Target 3 4
Shots off Target 2 6
Corners 4 0
Fouls Conceded 10 10
Yellow Cards 4 4
Red Cards 0 2
Possession (%) 48 52
Streaming Interview
Stamford AFC
1 Danny Haystead
2 Michael Armstrong Yellow Card
3 Josh Egginton
4 Jordan Cooke
5 Kern Miller
6 Greg Smith Red Card
7 Rob Morgan
8 Jake Duffy (c)
9 Ryan Seale Yellow Card
10 Joe Broache Yellow Card
11 Joe Burgess
12 Harry Peasgood
not used
14 Jon Challinor
for 10 - 90 mins
15 Christian Eneremadu
not used
16 Ollie Brown-Hill Yellow Card  Yellow Card  Red Card
for 9 - 83 mins
17 Jack Gurney
for 11 - 71 mins
Gresley FC
1 Charles Price
2 Jacob Sturgess
3 Mark Branch (c)
4 Albert Lansdowne Yellow Card
5 Mark Smith
6 Micah Edwards
7 Connor Deards
8 Eric Graves  Yellow Card
9 Joshua McKenzie Yellow Card
10 Kane Lee
11 Callum Riddell
12 Luke Moran
not used
14 Luke Morgan
for 7 - 75 mins
15 Cameron Steele
for 2 - 66 mins
16 Jake McIntosh Yellow Card
for 3 - 77 mins
17 Liam Walton
not used
Other Match Info

Referee: Duncan Robertson (Lincoln)

Attendance: 349

Star Player
Kane Lee

Kane Lee

Hard work paid off and rewarded by a good goal.