Gresley FC Homepage
Next First Team Game
3.00pm, This afternoon (home)

Match Report  |  Gresley FC vs Newcastle Town

Gresley FC  1
H Lansdowne 26
Newcastle Town  2
Lowe 34  |  Conlon 67

Build Base FA Trophy Preliminary Round

The Moat Ground, Church Gresley

Saturday, 13th October 2018, 3.00pm

No Trophy Joy For Gresley

The mood at the Moat Ground was a subdued one as we remembered the late Dave Hackett by placing a wreath in the centre circle before a minute’s applause.

With manager Gary Norton away, it was Carl Slater who took charge of this Buildbase FA Trophy Preliminary Round game.

Slater was still without Jamie Barrett (family reasons), Matt Roome, Dexter Morris-Clarke and Ryan King (injured). Top scorer Martin Smyth was absent due to a work commitment but there was a familiar face back in the Gresley side as Danny Holmes made his first appearance of the season.

Jack Livesey is still struggling with a back injury, so Ben Allsop was recalled from Stapenhill to take the goalkeeper’s shirt.

The blustery swirling wind was going to have a say in the proceedings, but it didn’t stop Kieran O’Connell having the first pop at visiting keeper Matt Johnson with a low shot with only 4 minutes on the clock. Allsop had to deal with a shot from Michael Conlon followed by a shot from James Steele.

On 20 minutes Town went close to opening the scoring when a deflection came out to Chris Smith, but the striker put his effort over the bar from 7 yards out.

Johnson was on top form to deny Gresley’s Kane Lee as he tipped over a well struck shot. However, on 26 minutes Gresley took the lead. Holmes slotted the ball to Mark Branch who in turn picked out Harry Lansdowne down the left and the youngster hit a shot which found the back of the net despite the close attention of a defender.

Harry Lansdowne went agonisingly close to doubling both his and Gresley’s tally two minutes later. Branch got the better of a defender down the right before cross to the winger at the far post, but his header went the wrong side of the far post.

Newcastle took advantage of the strong wind to level the score on 34 minutes. A long throw into the box was somehow flicked over his shoulder by Matt Lowe giving Gresley keeper no chance.

Lucas Harrison went close to regaining the lead for Gresley just before the break but his looping cross from the left landed on the top of Johnson’s net.

A good move early in the second half by Gresley should have seen a better ending which it deserved but the unlucky Eric Graves saw his shot hit the bar.

Lee also went close heading Branch’s corner just wide of the far post as Gresley went searching for a goal.

Town were also looking for a goal and went close on 54 minutes with Smith firing across the face of goal and wide of the far post.
Cameron Steele went close for Gresley but his on target shot took a deflection and dropped onto the top of the bar.

Town took the lead on 67 minutes when Conlon with his back to goal inside the 18 yard box turned and hit a low shot into the bottom corner of the net.

Callum Riddell, who had replaced Steele six minutes previously, went close to scoring but his shot flew wide.

On 81 minutes the referee made an outrageous mistake. Allsop took a free kick just outside his box and the ball was flicked on into the path of substitute Alex Steadman and the frontman raced forward into the Town area only to hear the referee’s whistle stopping him in his tracks. Everyone in the Moat Ground were stunned and extremely angry as the referee prevented a goal scoring opportunity by taking the ball right back to the Gresley area for an apparent infringement on Allsop as he took the free kick instead of playing an advantage.

Gresley were still fuming when O’Connell forced Johnson into a good save tipping the shot over the bar.

Gresley were handed a lifeline on 86 minutes when Branch’s shot from the right was handled in the area by Josh Glover. With Smyth absent Steadman chose to take the resultant spot kick.

Keeper Johnson should have been booked by the referee as he kept moving the ball off the spot along with a colleague appearing to scuff the spot with his boot while also preventing the shot from being taken.

Whether the delay caused by un-sportsman like behaviour unsettled Steadman, but it was a poorly struck shot which was easily saved by Johnson.

James Steele galloped towards the Gresley goal all alone as the home side were still high up the field. However, as he set to fire a shot he miss kicked and fell over the ball instead and ended up on the floor.

It wasn’t to be Steadman’s day as another golden chance to take his side into a replay was squandered. Harrison did well down the left before cutting the ball back for Steadman who could only put his shot well over the bar from 10-yards out and with it Gresley’s hopes of getting something out of the game.

Match Stats
Shots on Target 4 5
Shots off Target 7 6
Corners 9 8
Fouls Conceded 6 10
Yellow Cards 0 2
Red Cards 0 0
Possession (%) 50 50
Streaming Interview
Gresley FC
1 Ben Allsop
2 Mark Branch
3 Lucas Harrison
4 Albert Lansdowne
5 Kane Jellyman (c)
6 Danny Holmes
7 Cameron Steele
8 Eric Graves
9 Kane Lee
10 Kieran O'Connell
11 Harry Lansdowne
12 Callum Riddell
for 7 - 71 mins
14 Conner Ward
not used
15 Jake McIntosh
not used
16 Alex Steadman
for 11 - 69 mins
17 Luke Morgan
for 8 - 74 mins
Newcastle Town
1 Matt Johnson
2 Sam Bradbury
3 Kyle Stubbs
4 Taylor Attrell
5 Matt Lowe (c)
6 Luke Dennis
7 Michael Conlon
8 Jack Vann Der Laan
9 Chris Smith
10 James Steele Yellow Card
11 Rod Orlando-Young
12 Matt Wood
not used
14 Josh Glover Yellow Card
for 4 - 65 mins
15 Jonny Kapend
not used
16 George Shaw
for 9 - 81 mins
17 Lewis Grocott
not used
Other Match Info

Referee: Lee Freeman (Sheffield)

Attendance: 282

Star Player
Kieran O'Connell

Kieran O'Connell

Chosen by Paul Hackett