Gresley FC Homepage
Next First Team Game
Lincoln United
3.00pm, Sat 30th Mar (away)

Match Report  |  Gresley FC vs Spalding United

Gresley FC  1
K King 88
Spalding United  8
G King 7  |  Lockie 26, 80  |  Brooks 33, 73  |  Miller 51  |  White 86  |  Egginton (og) 90

Evo-Stik South

The Moat Ground, Church Gresley

Thursday, 12th April 2018, 7.45pm

Absolutely Smashed

Well what can you write about an absolute shambles that was seen at the Moat Ground tonight. There can be no excuses from any of the players except for keeper Callum Hawkins who despite conceding eight goals was not at fault for any of them.

The rest of his team mates should hold their collective hands up and admit that this performance was not good enough and not worthy of the badge and the name of Gresley in either guise as this was the biggest defeat either home or away for many years.

If this had been a boxing match the referee would have stopped it long before the end as Gresley seemed to have waved the white flag after going three goals down leaving the visitors, who Gresley had comfortably beaten twice at Spalding this season, to threaten to score with every attack. Only a superb penalty save from Hawkins kept the score down to single figures.

A poor game on Saturday followed by a good performance on Tuesday but tonight’s was the worst witnessed at the Moat by a long chalk.

Gresley went behind on 7 minutes when they conceded a needless free kick on the edge of the area. Gary King took the kick and arrowed a superb shot into the top far corner of the net which no keeper could have saved.

Spalding had the chance to double their advantage 10 minutes later when Alvin Jarvis tripped a player in the area. The resultant penalty kick was taken by Daniel Brooks who struck the ball well but Hawkins diving full length to his left got a strong hand on the ball to push the ball away for a throw-in!

The visitors were playing to their strengths using the long ball to full effect. From one of them they scored their second goal. Another punt cleared the Gresley defence who had pushed up almost to half way leaving Jonathan Lockie in acres of space. The exposed Hawkins came rushing out to try and cut out the threat but Lockie got to the ball first and steered the ball home from distance.

Just after the half hour mark Spalding added a third which seemed to signal a total capitulation from the home side. A needless free kick saw another superbly taken goal this time by Brooks who arrowed his shot into the top near corner giving Hawkins no chance.

Hawkins was on hand moments later as he prevented Spalding extending their lead by pushing Brookes’ low long-range shot away.

Gresley were visibly disappearing as the game progressed much to the anger of the loyal supporters who wanted their side to at least show some effort. Sadly, none was forthcoming, and Spalding looked as if they would score with every attack. A flicked header from another needless free kick came off the far post as the visitors went close again. The first attempt by Gresley came almost on the half time whistle when Mark Branch tried to lob Spaldiing keeper Michael Duggan but he claimed the ball under his bar.

There was the faintest glimmer of hope came on 48 minutes when Gresley had three attempts on goal in succession with two blocked and the final one saved but it was a false dawn.

Gresley were the authors of their own downfall on 51 minutes as they fell further behind. A corner from the right by Brooks found Kern Miler on the edge of the 6-yard box and he rose unchallenged to head goal number 4 powerfully home.

Courtney Meade had the best chance for Gresley on 68 minutes but his goal bound shot was deflected away for a corner.

The number of needless free kicks were continuing to cause the home side problems and one of them cost Gresley another goal. This was the third unstoppable free kick of the night which found the top corner this one fired in by Brooks from 25 yards.

Gresley’s embarrassment was made even worse on 80 minutes when a cross from the left went freely across the area and Lockie had the easy task of tapping the ball home.

Pearson Mwanyongo had a shot tipped over the bar by Duggan but that was as good as it got as more attacks from Spalding threatened to turn the screw even more.

Goal number 7 was another one from some poor defending. A run up the left saw a cross which should have been dealt with by Sean Phillips but he slipped and the ball rolled through to substitute Luke White who gleefully slipped the ball into the net.

Gresley scored a consolation goal on 88 minutes when substitute Lucas Harrison slipped the ball through to fellow substitute Keenan King who fired a shot across Duggan and into the far corner.

Gresley’s dreadful night was summed up when a shot from King, which Hawkins had covered, took a huge deflection off Josh Egginton wrong footing the keeper.

The thoughts of facing playoff hopefuls Leek on Saturday at Harrison Park sends ice cold shivers down the spine if Gresley play half as poor as they did tonight!

Match Stats
Shots on Target 5 10
Shots off Target 2 2
Corners 4 4
Fouls Conceded 8 8
Yellow Cards 1 1
Red Cards 0 0
Possession (%) 30 70
Streaming Interview
Gresley FC
1 Callum Hawkins
2 Mark Branch
3 Josh Egginton
4 Alvin Jarvis
5 Sean Philips
6 Tom Manship
7 Pearson Mwanyongo
8 Oliver Bassett
9 Courtney Meade
10 Matt Melbourne (c)
11 Shawn Richards
12 Reece Morris
not used
14 Keenan King
for 10 - 74 mins
15 Zack Hill
not used
16 Alexander Pott
for 9 - 84 mins
17 Lucas Harrison Yellow Card
for 2 - 53 mins
Spalding United
1 Michael Duggan
2 Scott Floyd Yellow Card
3 James Hugo
4 Matthew Varley
5 Ellis Humble
6 Neal Spafford
7 Kern Miller
8 Daniel Brooks
9 Gary King (c)
10 Jonathan Lockie
11 Cenk Acar
12 Luke White
for 4 - 59 mins
14 George Couzen
for 11 - 53 mins
15 Jordan Neil
not used
Other Match Info

Referee: Gareth Davis (Loughborough)

Attendance: 116