Gresley FC Homepage
Next First Team Game
Frickley Athletic
3.00pm, Sat 2nd Mar (away)

Match Report  |  Bedworth United vs Gresley FC

Bedworth United  2
Albrighton 45  |  Williams 86
Gresley FC  0

Evo-Stik South

The Oval, Bedworth

Saturday, 27th January 2018, 3.00pm

Gresley's Return Ends In Defeat

This was the first competitive game for Gresley since New Year’s Day due to the weather and a blank Saturday and it showed as they were short of sharpness in front of goal and looked a little heavy legged in the final minutes of the game.

Gresley were without the injured Alvin Jarvis and Tom Manship but Courtney Meade returned to the bench.

The visitors started reasonably well with Oliver Bassett firng a shot straight at home keeper Dan Crane.

At the other end Khallem Bailey Nichols cut in from the left but his shot was also straight at Callum Hawkins. Hawkins needed to be alert making a save low at his near post.

The best chance of the game for the visitors came on 40 minutes. A slip from the home defence allowed Danny Quinn to take the ball forward to the edge of the area but he fired his shot wide of the near post with the goal gaping. Bedworth went close themselves a minute later from a corner, but the header flew wide of the upright.

With the first half almost up Bedworth took the lead. A corner was slung in from the right and Hawkins was clearly prevented from jumping for the ball and Mark Albrighton was allowed to glace his header by the impeded Gresley stopper. Hawkins was clearly angry that the referee Mr Howes had failed to penalise the infringement and had allowed the goal to stand.

It was very harsh on Gresley who despite not playing their best had more than matched the home side for the first 45 minutes.

Bedworth came out for the second half looking far more determined and Hawkins was needed to make a save from a back header near his far post.

The home side went close again on the hour mark when Luke Keen planted his header from Reece Blackmore’s corner wide of the far post.

Quinn had another chance but put his header from Jason Law’s corner over the bar and Bassett also went close firing a shot over.

Meade, who had replaced Quinn had a chance himself within four minutes of coming on but again the chance went as his shot from distance flew over the bar.

Gresley shot themselves in the foot with four minutes remaining. Dexter Morris-Clarke was caught napping halfway into his own half and was robbed of the ball by substitute Kai Williams who raced forward before curling a superb shot into the net.

Gresley did rally in the last few minutes but their lack of match sharpness was apparent with Morris and Jon Stevenson both having chances which they failed to convert.

The other results didn’t help but Peterborough’s thumping of Belper meant Gresley found themselves at the bottom of the pile. They have plenty of games in hand but they need a regular run of games to get themselves back to match sharpness but with the horrible weather showing no indication of improving in the immediate future more interruptions seem more than likely.

Match Stats
Shots on Target 3 6
Shots off Target 5 5
Corners 3 5
Fouls Conceded 9 12
Yellow Cards 1 2
Red Cards 0 0
Possession (%) 47 53
Streaming Interview
Bedworth United
1 Dan Crane
2 Joe Pegg
3 Luke Rowe Yellow Card
4 Elliott Parrott
5 Mark Albrighton (c)
6 Tom Sharpe
7 Khaellen Bailey-Nicholls
8 Reece Blackmore Yellow Card
9 Luke Keen
10 Alex Troke
11 Barry Fitzharris
12 Levi Rowley
for 7 - 26 mins
14 Richard Blythe
for 9 - 74 mins
15 Kieron Brehon
not used
16 Ryan Smith
not used
17 Kai Williams
for 10 - 80 mins
Gresley FC
1 Callum Hawkins
2 Matt Roome
3 Josh Egginton
4 Jamie Barrett (c) Yellow Card
5 Sean Philips
6 Dexter Morris-Clarke
7 Oliver Bassett
8 Reece Morris
9 Danny Quinn
10 Matt Melbourne
11 Jason Law
12 Louis Danquah
for 11 - 72 mins
14 Zack Hill
not used
15 Courtney Meade
for 9 - 77 mins
16 Jon Stevenson
for 5 - 65 mins
Other Match Info

Referee: Mark Howes (Solihull)

Attendance: 180

Star Player
Oliver Bassett

Oliver Bassett

Worked hard all over the pitch