Gresley FC Homepage
Next First Team Game
Cleethorpes Town
3.00pm, Sat 19th Jan (away)

Match Report  |  Gresley FC vs Stamford AFC

Gresley FC  1
Melbourne 72
Stamford AFC  2
Putman 23  |  Fortnam-Tomlinson 28

Evo-Stik South

The Moat Ground, Church Gresley

Tuesday, 3rd October 2017, 7.45pm

Gresley Still Can't Get A Win

Despite a decent performance Gresley were left without at least a share of the points they deserved.

With a clear foul in the build up for Stamford's first goal ignored by both referee and his assistant and a thunderbolt of a shot from distance by Lucas Harrison cannoning back of the bar with the visiting keeper well beaten. It seemed that it was just going to be one of those nights again! Many of the people at the game commented that if we'd have been at the top of the league that shot would have gone in.

That may be the case but at the end of the day it didn't and Gresley must regroup for the visit of Bedworth in the FA Trophy on Saturday before facing one of the league title favorites and unbeaten Basford away on Monday should there be a result in the Trophy.

Gresley manager Damion Beckford-Quailey has still yet to name the same side for two games running because of injury, holiday and family issues. Tonight, he was missing Tom Hammerton due to illness while Tom Manship and Dexter Morris-Clarke are still injured and Ryan Robbins serving the second of his three match ban for his sending off against Lincoln.

The home side started brightly enough but it was Stamford who went closest when Liam Adams cut in from the left but his shot flew just the wrong side of the near post.

A few minutes later the visitors took the lead. The ball was down the left where one of the Gresley players appeared to have been fouled in the build up. The officials ether didn't see it or ignored it and play was allowed to continue with Eliot Putman making his way forward before hitting a well struck shot, which took a slight deflection on its way, into the net at the near post.

The visitors doubled their advantage two minutes later when a ball was put through down the right beating Gresley's back line. The Gresley keeper dashed off his line and tried to clear the danger but he was beaten to the ball which was then crossed into the box where Bradley Fortnam-Tomlinson was able to rise un challenged and head into the empty net.

Lady Luck was absent for Gresley on 37 minutes when Harrison's well struck shot left the bar shaking until halftime.

Gresley made a change for the second half with Jason Law replacing Louis Danquah and his introduction seemed to give his side some impetus with his workrate and determination going forward.

The Moatmen clawed a goal back on 72 minutes as a result of another well struck shot from Harrison. Danny Haystead found the shot too hard to handle and Matt Melbourne was quick to react smashing the loose ball into the net from close in.

Some of the decisions from the referee were bizarre to say the least. Reece Morris was booked for apparently diving. If he hadn't have dived out of the way of a rash tackle he would have been seriously injured but a similar occurrence down in the corner when Stamford were wasting time at the end of the game wasn't punished in the same way.

In a rare second half attempt on Gresley's goal brought out a superb save from Max Smith-Varnham. A free kick from the right flew across to the left and the ball was returned into the box where it looked certain that Adams would add a third goal for his team but somehow Smith-Varnham managed to get a hand to the ball and force it away for a corner.

Match Stats
Shots on Target 3 3
Shots off Target 1 2
Corners 4 2
Fouls Conceded 17 11
Yellow Cards 3 1
Red Cards 0 0
Possession (%) 55 45
Streaming Interview
Gresley FC
1 Max Smith-Varnam
2 Matt Roome
3 Josh Egginton
4 Jamie Barrett (c)
5 Acer Wake
6 Zack Hill Yellow Card
7 Lucas Harrison Yellow Card
8 Reece Morris Yellow Card
9 Jeremiah Dasaolu
10 Matt Melbourne
11 Louis Danquah
12 Alvin Jarvis
not used
14 Keenan King
for 2 - 78 mins
15 Ryan King
for 9 - 62 mins
16 Jason Law
for 11 - 46 mins
17 Jon Stevenson
not used
Stamford AFC
1 Danny Haystead
2 Ben George
3 Eliot Putnam
4 Mike Armstrong
5 Delroy Gordon
6 Henry Eze
7 Rob Morgan
8 Jon Challinor
9 Jordan Smith (c)
10 Liam Adams Yellow Card
11 Bradley Fortnam-Tomlinson
12 Pearson Mwanyongo
for 11 - 62 mins
14 Sam Hollis
for 10 - 90 mins
15 John King
not used
Other Match Info

Referee: Andrew Ellis (Solihull)

Attendance: 215

Star Player
Jason Law

Jason Law

His introduction at half time gave Gresley hope of getting something out of the game.