Gresley FC Homepage

Match Report  |  Ibstock United vs Gresley FC

Ibstock United  2
Chitiza 46  |  Matthew 99
Gresley FC  3
Rathbone 57  |  Holmes 98  |  Goodfellow 116

Coalville Charity Cup Final

Terrace Road, Ellistown

Monday, 13th May 2013, 7.30pm

After Extra Time

Gresley Retain The Charity Cup

On a bitterly cold evening Gresley were taken to extra time by a hard working Ibstock side but a late goal from Marc Goodfellow ensured that the Gresley travelling support would not have to suffer a penalty shoot out.

Ibstock proved to be a much sterner opposition than what was expected and were soon putting the Gresley defence under pressure with Michael Nottingham having to clear the ball off the line.

Both sides were being affected by a stiff breeze which reduced the clear chances in the first half. Benn Minshull went close for Gresley and Ibstock went even closer in the closing minutes of the half when they were unlucky to see a header come back off the bar from Ben Harris's free kick.

Gresley were caught out in the first minute of the second half when Tendi Chitizu was put through and he coolly slipped the ball past the advancing keeper George Woodward.

Jordi Gough went close for Gresley moments later and Goodfellow firing a shot just wide of the near post.

Goodfellow had a shot pushed away by Ibstock's keeper Sam Taylor before providing a cross from the left which Dean Rathbone headed home at the far post to level the game.

Gresley almost took the lead with a good passing move as Richard Hanslow picked out Jordan Nadat who in turn found Minshull but the final shot flew wide of the near post.

Ibstock was lucky to have kept their keep on the field when he brought down Nadat outside the area on the right. The referee was charitable as perhaps one of the keeper's defenders may have got back to help and only waved the yellow card.

A free kick from Danny Holmes was headed against the bar and Nadat following up could only loop the rebound over from a good position.

Ibstock had a chance to win the game in normal time but Woodward did well to deny Chitizu with a good save.

In the early moments of extra time the woodwork denied Gresley again this time when Goodfellow made a good run through the middle before crashing his shot against the bar.

At the other end Carl Benson put a good chance over the bar but Gresley took the lead when Goodfellow pushed a corner from the left to Holmes who crashed an unstoppable shot past Taylor from the edge of the area.

Ibstock levelled almost immediately in somewhat controversial circumstances. The referee had given a soft free kick which was taken yards away from where the alleged offence had taken place and as the Gresley players were waiting for the ball to go back to the correct place for the kick the referee allowed play to go on which gave substitute Keith Matthew a clear run through to shoot past Woodward.

Gresley should have retaken the lead when a superb cross from the left by Goodfellow found Hanslow at the far post unmarked but somehow he managed to plant his header the wrong side of the upright.

Holmes went close firing over the bar and just as it seemed the match would have to be settled by shots from the penalty spot Gresley managed to grab a winner.

With just four minutes of extra time remaining Nadat made a good run down the right and fired in a low cross into the box which Taylor could only get a hand to but the ball still flew across face of the goal where Goodfellow running in at the far post was able to slot home.

Manager's View

"We were dire to be honest particularly in the first half. The second half we were a lot better and created enough chances but unfortunately both Jordan Nadat and Richard Hanslow didn't have their shooting boots on this evening. If they had done the game would have been dead and buried. It was a horrible game but we stuck at it and won.

"Ibstock's second goal was controversial. The referee, who was poor all game, didn't even get them to take the free kick from the right place, it was fifteen yards further on and we were waiting for it to go back but it didn't and the referee allowed play to go on and they scored which was a little disappointing.

"Next season is going to be a big challenge and we are all looking forward to it. I've spoken to the majority of the players and they are all keen on stopping at the club and to move this club forward.

"It's been a long hard season but we finished mid table and did well. Our aim for next season will be to get into the play-offs . As Gary Norton has said previously, if we hadn't have had that bad spell during January and February we most likely would have been there but we're not ready for that just yet so in hind sight it may have been a bit of a saving for us."

Match Stats
Shots on Target 6 4
Shots off Target 9 5
Corners 12 3
Fouls Conceded 14 16
Yellow Cards 1 2
Possession (%) 55 45
Streaming Interview
Ibstock United
1 Sam Taylor Yellow Card
2 James Ward
3 Shaquille Brookes
4 Tom Rowell
5 Josh Unsworth
6 Will Price
7 Jack Kyte
8 Chris Rudkin (c)
9 Carl Benson Yellow Card
10 Ben Harris
11 Tendi Chitiza
12 Eric Shidley
for 9 - 112 mins
14 Pat Rowe
not used
15 Keith Matthew
for 7 - 80 mins
16 Callum Cooper
not used
17 Carl Pettit (gk)
not used
Gresley FC
1 George Woodward
2 Ryan Walker
3 Jordi Gough (c)
4 Danny Holmes
5 Michael Nottingham Yellow Card
6 Gareth Langford
7 Benn Minshull
8 Dean Rathbone
9 Jordan Nadat
10 Richard Hanslow
11 Marc Goodfellow
12 Kyle Bryant
for 7 - 60 mins
14 Brad Metcalfe
not used
15 Liam Kavanagh
not used
Other Match Info

Referee: Ian Davies

Attendance: 250