Gresley FC Homepage
Next First Team Game
Cleethorpes Town
3.00pm, This afternoon (home)

Match Report  |  Gresley FC vs Corby Town

Gresley FC  1
Morris 18
Corby Town  4
Crawford 40, 65, 67  |  Kennedy 49

Evo-Stik South

The Moat Ground, Church Gresley

Saturday, 25th November 2017, 3.00pm

Corby Show Their Steel

It was a tough day for Gresley as they were comfortably beaten at the Moat Ground by a side which could make it into the play-offs.

However, again, if Gresley had taken their first half chances and the officials had been a little more on the ball things could have been different.

After an overnight dusting of snow and some sleet showers in the morning the game could have been in doubt but it went ahead on a very heavy pitch.

Gresley manager Damion Beckford-Quailey named an unchanged side from the one that won so well last week at Spalding. He welcomed back Matt Roome who took a place on the bench alongside new signing striker Danny Quinn.

The home side started well with Matt Melbourne getting on the end of Reece Morris’s pass from the right across the box bringing out the first save from Corby’s Sam Wilson.

However, three minutes later Gresley were in front. Another good move down the right ended with Keenan King this time putting a ball across the box where Morris was able to sweep the ball home.

The first attempt of note from the visitors saw Dino Tuskar try his hand but Callum Hawkins pushed the shot away to his left. Town went close again on 32 minutes but Steve Leslie scuffed his shot from a good position wide.

More poor officiating saw referee Mr Stonier award Corby a goal kick when the ball had very clearly come off a Corby player before spinning out of play for what should have been a Gresley corner. Another astonishing decision came soon afterwards when Morris was cynically brought down as he raced down the right with both the assistant referee and referee insisting that the tackle had been a fair one. None of the Gresley supporters on that side of the pitch agreed however.

Gresley were unfortunate to concede a goal with five minutes of the first half remaining. Corby were awarded a free kick which in all honesty should have gone Gresley’s way if any. The ball was played out to the left to a Corby player in a clear offside position. Everyone was waiting for the assistant referee to raise his flag but to the annoyance of home players and supporters alike he failed to do so and the ball was played into the centre of the Gresley area for Jordan Crawford to fire past Hawkins.

Gresley had had the better of the first half but as been said on many occasions this season too many to be honest they showed their worst side as the Jekyll and Hyde Moatmen disappeared in the second to be overrun by a rampant Corby side.

A change was made for Gresley after the break as the injured Tom Manship was replaced by Matt Roome.

The visitors took the lead with just four minutes on the second half clock. Another fortunate goal saw Conner Kennedy chip a ball over Hawkins and into the top far corner of the net surprising the player more than most in the ground as he saw his ball fly into the net.

That goal seemed to knock the stuffing out of the home side as they were soon having to defend with Jamie Barret making a fine block to stop the visitors extending their lead.

They didn’t have to wait long though. On 65 minutes Ben Bradshaw headed a cross goalward but Hawkins managed to parry the ball away but the impressive Crawford was in the right place to tap his second goal into the open net.

With Gresley clearly rocked by the goal some poor defending saw themselves further behind just two minutes later. Almost from the re-start Gresley were guilty of giving the ball away in midfield for the umpteenth time in this second half.

Corby took advantage and punished the home side. A swift move down the left ended with Crawford firing across Hawkins with the ball nestling in the far bottom corner.

Gresley’s midfield were being overrun and they did not help themselves as the lost possession and could not find their teammates with a pass.

On 67 minutes Quinn was introduced to replace Keenan King and his appearance put a little more bite up front and his persistence paid off ten minutes later. Racing into the area he was hacked down and the referee did not hesitate in awarding the penalty.

Jamie Barrett chose to take the spot kick and although he sent Wilson the wrong way the goalkeeper’s out stretched leg blocked the shot and a golden opportunity to reduce the deficit was gone.

Quinn continued to cause trouble and Gresley began to rouse from their slumber for the final ten minutes. The striker muscled himself into the area but couldn’t get enough on ball and another chance evaporated.

Perhaps Corby had taken their foot of the gas for the final ten minutes as Gresley three more late chances. Melbourne had a shot blocked on the line, Quinn also had a shot blocked this time by the keeper. Morris provided a good cross from the right but no Gresley player was close enough to take advantage.

There was no doubting that Corby deserved their win based on their second half performance but the score line was a little flattering and could have been a lot closer if Gresley had taken their late, late chances.

Match Stats
Shots on Target 4 5
Shots off Target 1 2
Corners 1 4
Fouls Conceded 9 8
Yellow Cards 4 1
Red Cards 0 0
Possession (%) 48 52
Streaming Interview
Gresley FC
1 Callum Hawkins
2 Lucas Harrison
3 Louis Danquah Yellow Card
4 Jamie Barrett (c)
5 Josh Egginton
6 Tom Manship Yellow Card
7 Dexter Morris-Clarke Yellow Card
8 Reece Morris
9 Keenan King
10 Matt Melbourne
11 Jason Law
12 Quirino Bahati De-Ataide Dias
not used
14 Zack Hill
not used
15 Sean Phillips
for 3 - 82 mins
16 Danny Quinn
for 9 - 87 mins
17 Matt Roome Yellow Card
for 6 - 46 mins
Corby Town
1 Sam Wilson
2 Jamie Anton
3 Sam Warburton
4 Paul Malone
5 Jason Lee (c)
6 Cameron Healy
7 Conner Kennedy Yellow Card
8 Ben Bradshaw
9 Jordan Crawford
10 Matt Melbourne
11 Dino Tuskar
12 Dean McBride
13 Dan Smith (GK)
not used
14 Philip Trainer
for 11 - 45 mins
15 Visan-Vasile Cretu
for 9 - 75 mins
16 Jordan O'Brian
for 4 - 67 mins
Other Match Info

Referee: Mr Paul Stonier (Newcastle under Lyme)

Attendance: 224

Star Player
Dexter Morris-Clarke

Dexter Morris-Clarke

Tried his hardest to bolster up the midfield.