Gresley FC Homepage
Next First Team Game
Spalding United
3.00pm, Sat 27th Oct (away)

Match Report  |  Spalding United vs Gresley FC

Spalding United  1
G King 18
Gresley FC  2
Melbourne 51, 83

Evo-Stik South

Sir Halley Stewart Playing Field, Spalding

Saturday, 18th November 2017, 3.00pm

Gresley Tiptoe Through The Tulips

Gresley made the long trip to Spalding and for the second time in four weeks their travels proved successful this time coming away with three valuable league points.

Spalding announced recently that they had to slash their playing budget but credit to their players they have all remained loyal so far and so it was a much stronger side which faced Gresley this time from that which they faced in the league cup.

Gresley manager Damion Beckford-Quailey had to make changes to his side with Matt Roome absent due to a funeral and Jon Stevenson injured after picking up a slight knock in training. With Alvin Jarvis still on the injured list a reshuffle at the was needed with Lucas Harrison asked to fill the right back slot a position he is unaccustomed to.

Jamie Barrett who was substituted in the previous game due to a slight hamstring strain was a surprise inclusion in the squad and did well completing a full 90 minutes. Keenan King was given the start up front with new signing Quirino Bahati De-Ataide Dias taking a place on the bench alongside just two team mates Zachy Hill and Sean Phillips.

Spalding started the better with a corner from the right being headed narrowly over the bar after just 4 minutes.

Barrett complained to the referee Mr Salmons that he had apparently been headbutted but the official after a long talk to the Gresley captain gave the home side a free kick. As the ball came into the area Barrett was penalised, it was imagined, for putting his arms over a Tulips player and a very harsh penalty was awarded to absolute silence from supporters and players alike as everyone tried to figure out what the spot kick had been awarded for.

Justice was served, however, when the normally secure Jamie Jackson blazed the penalty kick well over the bar.

Spalding were still applying pressure and a good save from Gresley keeper Callum Hawkins denied Gary King’s header from Lee Beeson’s free kick from giving them the lead.

The home side took the lead on 18 minutes. A cross from the left into the area was not cleared and Gary King smashed a low shot from the edge of the area which took a deflection as it flew through a crowded box wrong footing Hawkins.

Gresley didn’t sit back and were soon applying some pressure themselves with Jason Law firing wide of the near post on 33 minutes.

The final say of the first half fell to the home side but a well struck free kick by Beeson was comfortable dealt with by Hawkins.

It was Gresley’s turn to start a half well and they drew level on 51 minutes. A fine run down the right by Keenan King saw a low cross into the area to Matt Melbourne who shrugged off the attention of a defender and despite slipping on the soft surface turned before smashing a superb shot past Michael Duggan and into the top near corner of the net.

Gresley were beginning to believe they could get something more than a point from the game and were starting to dominate possession. However, they needed to be aware of the attacking danger from Gary King and Jamie Jackson as they pressed forward.

Unfortunately for the home side some of their supporters began to express their displeasure at what they saw from their own players and management and it could be seen that it was irritating some of the Tulips’ squad.

Reece Morris tried his luck from the edge of the area but his shot flew just over the bar. The visitors almost got caught out when Beeson ran onto Jackson’s through ball but was denied by Hawkins who beat him to the ball.

A stroke of fortune fell to the visitors as Harrison managed to clear an attempt off the line as Paul Walker threatened to scramble the ball home.

Gresley were inches away from taking the lead on 77 minutes. A great run down the right by Melbourne ended with him firing a low cross into the box but Keenan King was agonisingly an inch or two from sliding the ball into the net.

The visitors looked the most likely to score in the final ten minutes and their persistence paid off as Melbourne gave his side the lead with 7 minutes remaining. Law worked hard to retain the ball just outside the left of the area. He then put a ball into the box and Melbourne appeared to flick a back heel past the helpless Duggan.

Gresley hung on to the precious three points in a game in which they fully deserved to take something home to South Derbyshire and making the long journey a pleasant one for the travelling faithful.

Match Stats
Shots on Target 2 4
Shots off Target 4 3
Corners 5 2
Fouls Conceded 12 15
Yellow Cards 2 3
Red Cards 0 0
Possession (%) 50 50
Streaming Interview
Spalding United
1 Michael Duggan
2 Jack Fixter
3 Adam Jackson (c)
4 Connor Marshall
5 Ellis Humble
6 Paul Walker
7 Jamie Jackson Yellow Card
8 Lee Beeson
9 Gary King
10 Ben Davison Yellow Card
11 Cenk Acar
12 Johnny Lockie
for 5 - 84 mins
14 Layton Maddison
not used
15 Jordan Neil Yellow Card
for 11 - 70 mins
16 Lewis Millington
for 10 - 78 mins
17 Alex Smith (GK)
not used
Gresley FC
1 Callum Hawkins
2 Lucas Harrison
3 Louis Danquah
4 Jamie Barrett (c)
5 Josh Egginton
6 Tom Manship Yellow Card
7 Dexter Morris-Clarke
8 Reece Morris
9 Keenan King
10 Matt Melbourne
11 Jason Law Yellow Card
12 Quirino Bahati De-Ataide Dias
for 9 - 78 mins
14 Zacky Hill
for 10 - 90 mins
15 Sean Philips
for 11 - 90 mins
Other Match Info

Referee: Kieran Salmons (Lincoln)

Attendance: 114

Star Player
Matt Melbourne

Matt Melbourne

Was rewarded for his hard work with two very well taken goals