Gresley FC Homepage
Next First Team Game
Stocksbridge Park Steels
3.00pm, Sat 15th Dec (away)

Match Report  |  Newcastle Town vs Gresley FC

Newcastle Town  2
Askey 35  |  Cole 43
Gresley FC  1
Melbourne 33

Evo-Stik South

Drayton Beaumont Stadium, Newcastle

Saturday, 4th November 2017, 3.00pm

Newcastle Continue The Hoodoo

Newcastles hoodoo at home to Gresley continued as the visitors failed to get any reward at the sixth attempt but they had a very good go at it.

Arguably Gresley deserved a share of the points in this typical game of two halves with the visitors having much the better of the first half and Newcastle the better of the second.

Gresley could quite easily have been two or three goals to the good by the break but the chances were not taken, and it was also the case for Newcastle as they could have added two or three more goals themselves in the second half but again the clear chances were squandered.

Gresley were dealt a huge blow in the days leading up to this game with striker Ryan Robbins choosing to join AFC Rushden & Diamonds. The big striker had been instrumental in seeing Gresleys fragile form improving but now manager Damion Beckford-Quailey was having to try and fill his squad.

Defender Jamie Barrett was still on the injured list along with Courtney Meade who is still recovering from an Achilles injury. Several Reserve team players were asked but most were unavailable for various reasons.

Beckford-Quailey's headache was made worse as he saw his defender Alvin Jarvis, who had been in good form in the last few games, limp off with ten minutes remaining due to a hamstring injury, followed by Dexter Morris-Clarke who was also struggling with a slight injury.

Gresley started well and were soon testing home keeper Raajan Gill. Tom Manship's free kick from the edge of the area went straight at the keeper repeated a couple of minutes later this time it was Morris-Clarke who fired at the keeper.

The visitors were inches away from taking the lead on 16 minutes. Jason Law made a good run down the right fired a low cross into the box which Matt Melbourne almost got a touch to sliding in at the near post.

Another chance came when Reece Morris hit a shot which was heading into the back off the net but somehow a home player managed to block the ball.

Chances were coming thick and fast with Melbourne the next Gresley player to have a goal-bound attempt blocked. From the resultant corner Gresley had a good shout for a penalty as the ball appeared to come off the hand of a defender.

Manship went close with a flicked header which went straight to Gill. All these chances came with only 25 minutes on the clock! Surely one of the umpteen chances would be taken?

The first attack of note from Town came on 28 minutes when Jordan Cole's header from James Askey's cross went straight to Callum Hawkins.

Law was put through but saw his shot go wide, however, four minutes later Gresley managed to convert one of the many chances. Manship chipped the ball over the defence and Melbourne beat Gill to the ball to poke the ball past the keeper and into the empty net for a goal their play had totally deserved.

Unfortunately, it appeared that Gresley were still celebrating as their lead only lasted two minutes. Almost straight from the kick-off the ball was pushed down the right and James Lee put in a pinpoint cross to Luke Askey who powered home his header at the far post.

Town doubled their lead in controversial circumstances with two minutes remaining of the half. A foul on the halfway line on Morris-Clarke should have been given to Gresley but the referee Mr Rayment decided in the homeside's favour.

They quickly took the kick and a long ball down the right found Cole who looked a couple of yards offside but with the assistant way behind the play the game continued, and he put the ball across Hawkins and into the far corner. The Gresley management and supporters were furious but the goal stood.

Gresley started the second half well with Melbourne firing at Gill but slowly and surely Town began to enjoy the possession Gresley had in the first along with wasteful finishing.

Town's first chance came on 58 minutes when Askey was put through but with Hawkins only to beat the tall striker's shot was well saved by the Gresley keeper.

At the other end Morris was firing at Gill but the better chances were still falling to the home side. Jonathan Kapend and Will Bailey both struck low shots which Hawkins dealt with comfortably.

The best chance and the most embarrassing miss for the home side came on 79 minutes. A good cross from the right by Sam Wilson found Kapend in acres of space on the left of the area. He brought the ball down well and with the goal gaping proceeded to put his effort wide of the far post.

Town did have the ball in the net but a assistant upraised flag stopped the celebrations.

Gresley thought they grabbed a point with five minutes to go. Jon Stevenson, who had replaced Keenan King, was played in through the middle and struck a shot goalward. It looked certain to find the back of the net but then from out of nowhere a defender somehow managed to block the ball on the line.

Louis Danquah's cross picked out Melbourne but he put his effort wide of the near post. The final chance of a game of many at both ends, fell to Town with Askey failing to hit the target with a header.

Match Stats
Shots on Target 9 6
Shots off Target 3 6
Corners 3 2
Fouls Conceded 11 11
Yellow Cards 0 0
Red Cards 0 0
Possession (%) 50 50
Streaming Interview
Newcastle Town
1 Raajan Gill
2 Sam Wilson
3 Ricky Bridge
4 Sam Badbury
5 James Askey (c)
6 Luke Denns
7 Jordan Cole
8 James Lee
9 Luke Askey
10 Will Bailey
11 Jonathan Kapend
12 Aaron Bott
not used
14 Jonathan Higham
not used
15 Matthew Thomas
not used
17 Adam Alcock (GK)
not used
Gresley FC
1 Callum Hawkins
2 Matt Roome (c)
3 Louis Danquah
4 Josh Egginton
5 Alvin Jarvis
6 Tom Manship
7 Dexter Morris-Clarke
8 Reece Morris
9 Keenan King
10 Matt Melbourne
11 Jason Law
12 Lucas Harrison
not used
14 Zack Hill
for 7 - 82 mins
15 Sean Philips
for 5 - 79 mins
16 Jon Stevenson
for 9 - 60 mins
Other Match Info

Referee: Alex Rayment (Dunstable)

Attendance: 109

Star Player
Matt Melbourne

Matt Melbourne

Matt is continuing to show what an invaluable member of the team he is.