Gresley FC Homepage
Next First Team Game
Spalding United
, Sat 27th Oct (away)

Match Report  |  Brocton vs Gresley FC

Brocton  2
Hartshorne 38  |  Edwards 90
Gresley FC  0

Emirates FA Cup Preliminary Round

Silkmore Lane, Stafford

Saturday, 19th August 2017, 3.00pm

Woeful Gresley Out Of The FA Cup

Gresley fell at the first fence in this season's FA Cup with a woeful performance against a side two levels below them in the pyramid leading to a furious Damion Beckford-Quailey stating after the game that it was the worst performance since he joined the club and was not acceptable.

None of the Gresley faithful who made the trip to Stafford would disagree.

Beckford-Quailey made changes to the side that secured their first league point on Tuesday with Rob Peet returning to the goalkeeper shirt. Louis Danquah, who had impressed against Alvechurch midweek, was ill and Ash Day on holiday. Starting the game were Courtney Meade, Alvin Jarvis and Dexter Morris-Clarke with recently returned Reece Morris also given a start. Matt Melbourne was absent due to an injury.

As was expected the home side started well and were soon testing Peet with a shot which he comfortably saved. Brocton continued to push Gresley back and a cross from the left almost gave the home side the lead but Jack Edwards fired his shot wide of the near post followed by a free kick which also went the wrong side of the upright.

Gresley's first chance of note came on 22 minutes. Morris chased down what looked like a dead ball and managed to get it back to Meade who disappointingly fired over the bar from a good position.

Lucas Harrison then robbed a defender of the ball and ran on into the area but his shot was blocked. Another chance went begging for the visitors when Josh Egginton put over a good cross from the left into the area but Cambell's flicked header went past the far post.

Somehow, Brocton failed to take the lead on 33 minutes. A long throw in from the left found Leaon Taylor who saw his header hit the inside of the far post and incredibly bounce away with none of his team mates able to poke the ball home.

Campbell had a chance for Gresley but put his header from Tom Manship's wide and three minutes later, at the other end Brocton took the lead. A ball into the area was latched onto by Joe Hartshorne who rammed the ball past Peet.

Gresley thought they'd levelled just before the break when Manship's free kick was headed home by Jarvis but the raised flag of the assistant referee cut short the celebrations although the defender looked to have been onside when the ball was played.

Early into the second half Gresley were forced into a change when Manship suffered a serious leg wound which needed a visit to the hospital. The midfielder had forced a run into the area but a challenge from a defender stopped him leaving him injured on the floor. Manship was replaced by Sean Philips.

Brocton went close to doubling their lead but a low shot from Jack Edwards brought out a fine save from Peet diving low to his right to turn the ball away for a corner at his near post.

Although Gresley were having the better of the possession they lacked the cutting edge to get through some dogged home defending.

Forcing a corner, Philips swung over the ball which was met by Egginton but his header was off target. Substitute Jason Law fired wide and a minute later a low shot from distance by Harrison was fumbled by home keeper Adam Jenkins with the ball almost creeping over his line. Egginton then had a shot blocked by Jenkins after the defender had ran on to Harrison's free kick into the area. Another chance for Meade was squandered. He was sent through by Law only to fire over the bar.

The game ended for Gresley on 90 minutes when Jamie Barrett felled Hartshorne in the area giving referee Mr Corbett no option but to point to the spot. Edwards sent Peet the wrong way and his team mates into celebrations.

The referee cut the game short by at least five minutes but to be honest if he'd have played for another hour it is doubtful if Gresley would have scored such was their lack of a cutting edge up front.

Brocton thoroughly deserved their win and for Gresley they need to seriously look at themselves during the week as they face another tricky league game at Chasetown next Saturday.

Match Stats
Shots on Target 3 4
Shots off Target 7 4
Corners 5 1
Fouls Conceded 7 15
Yellow Cards 1 1
Red Cards 0 0
Possession (%) 49 51
Streaming Interview
1 Adam Jenkins (c)
2 Ellis Liggins
3 Jamie Evans
4 Tom Vaughan
5 Shaun Stuart
6 Adam Robinson
7 Jack Edwrds
8 Desean Martin Yellow Card
9 Leon Taylor
10 Dave Berks
11 Joe Hartshorne
12 Josh Mansell
for 4 - 68 mins
14 Josh Stack
for 9 - 89 mins
15 Kenny Devoir
for 10 - 85 mins
16 Mark Cooper
not used
Gresley FC
1 Rob Peet
2 Matt Roome
3 Josh Egginton
4 Jamie Barrett (c)
5 Alvin Jarvis
6 Dexter Morris-Clarke
7 Lucas Harrison
8 Reece Morris
9 Courtney Meade
10 Daniel Campbell
11 Tom Manship
12 Sean Philips
for 11 - 55 mins
14 Jon Stevenson
for 5 - 81 mins
16 Jason Law
for 10 - 66 mins
17 Brendan Bunn (gk)
not used
Other Match Info

Referee: Liam Corbett (Dudley)

Attendance: 87