Gresley FC Homepage

Match Report  |  Basford United vs Gresley FC

Basford United  1
Dixon 79
Gresley FC  0

Evo-Stik NPL League Division One South

Greenwich Ave, Basford

Saturday, 11th March 2017, 3.00pm

Gresley Still Looking For A Win

Jamie Barrett made his 600th appearance for the Moatmen but the day ended in disappointment for the club captain as his side slipped to a 1-0 defeat at play-off chasing Basford United.

Playing on the best 3G pitch in the league, Gresley were under pressure for most of the game but they limited the home side to just one goal with some stout defending and some good goalkeeping.

Gresley manager Damion Beckford Quailey made a change in goal with Max Atkin replacing Rob Peet. There was also a new face on the bench with the recently signed Jon Stevenson from AFC Rushden & Diamonds coming into the squad.

The visitors were soon being pushed back with Matt Thornhill flashing a shot past the far post with 10 minutes gone.

United went close again a couple of minutes later with Deon Miekle heading Fabian Smith's cross from the right over the bar.

Atkin was alert to prevent the impressive Kyle Dixon from opening the score coming off his line quickly to smother the ball.

Gresley were finding it hard to get out of their own half as United pushed forward. They went close again when Kieran Wells did well to get the ball into the area where Ben Hutchinson tried his hand at an overhead kick which went just wide of the far post. This was followed a few minutes later with Hutchinson heading a deep cross from the right narrowly past the far post.

The visitors' first meaningful attempt on goal came on the half hour mark when Leandro Browne collected Ben Harris's free kick from the right but the final shot went straight into the midriff of home keeper Saul Deeney.

United hit back with a quick break and Dixon beat the offside trap but with just Atkin to beat skewed his shot wide of the post. Barrett was then needed to clear an attempt off the line as United threatened once again.

Gresley made a fast break themselves with Matt Melbourne flying down the left. He then put a tempting low cross into the box where Laithan Hammond was inches away from slipping the ball home at the far post with his effort going wide.

The visitors went close again moments later. This time it was Dexter Morris-Clarke the provider. His run down the right ended with him slipping the ball inside to Reece Morris but it seemed as if the winger tried to curl the ball into the bottom far corner but it ended up going two or three yards wide of the far post.

Atkins made another comfortable save from Hutchinson and Sam Osborne fired wide as United finished the first half strongly. The last action was from Hutchinson's free kick which was headed against the bar.

The second half started as the first had finished with United probing looking for a goal which would keep their play-off hopes on track.

Hutchinson went close hitting a dipping shot which landed on the roof of the net. Within the space of a couple of minutes Basford clattered the woodwork - was Gresley going to find that stroke of luck which has been lacking in the last few games?
Basford did have the ball in the net on 69 minutes but the upraised flag of the assistant referee cut short their celebrations.

Atkin made another good save before denying Hutchinson when he tipped the well struck shot over the bar. The Gresley keeper was then injured as he shepherded a well struck shot past his post and from then on struggled with his mobility for the final 15 minutes or so.

On 79 minutes the goal which looked certain would come as Atkin struggled came when a very well struck shot from Dixon left Atkin a mere spectator as the ball flew past him from distance.

To Gresley's credit they didn't let their heads drop and in the final 10 minutes could easily have got something out of the game.

Melbourne was sent through on goal only to be denied by the onrushing Deeney who made a good block with his legs. Unfortunately, Stevenson who had only been on the pitch a few minutes replacing Hammond, could only steer the rebound wide of the target.

Browne had a shot which skimmed the top of the bar and Morris, who avoided a lunge of a tackle on the left, put in a good low cross to the far post but substitute Keenan King couldn't connect enough at the far post with what should have been a share of the points for Gresley deep in time added on.

Match Stats
Attempts on Goal 2 5
Shots off Target 5 12
Corners 1 8
Fouls Conceded 9 11
Yellow Cards 4 3
Red Cards 0 0
Possession (%) 45 55
Streaming Interview
Basford United
1 Saul Deeney
2 Robbie McNicholas Yellow Card
3 Kieran Fenton
4 Matt Thornhill Yellow Card
5 Lewis Carr (c)
6 Deon Meikle Yellow Card
7 Sam Osbourne
8 Fabian Smith
9 Kieran Wells
10 Ben Hutchinson
11 Kyle Dixon
12 Tyrell Shannon-Lewis
for 7 - 59 mins
14 Mason Coy
not used
15 Reece Bertam
for 8 - 84 mins
16 Reece Fyfe
not used
17 Jake Wood (GK)
not used
Gresley FC
1 Max Atkin
2 Jamie Barrett (c)
3 Josh Egginton
4 Ryan Walker Yellow Card
5 Matt Roome
6 Dexter Morris-Clarke
7 Leandro Browne Yellow Card
8 Reece Morris Yellow Card
9 Laithan Hammond
10 Matt Melbourne
11 Ben Harris Yellow Card
12 Alvin Jarvis
not used
14 Tom Manship
for 11 - 60 mins
15 Jon Stevenson
for 9 - 73 mins
16 Sam Grouse
not used
17 Keenan King
for 2 - 84 mins
Other Match Info

Referee: Scott Postin (Coventry)

Attendance: 181

Star Player
Max Atkin

Max Atkin

Did well - couldn't do anything to prevent the goal